Medical Definition of Chrysops
: a large widely distributed genus of small horseflies (family Tabanidae) of which the American deerflies are pests of humans and animals and in certain areas transmit tularemia while the African mango flies are vectors of the eye worm (Loa loa)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?