Medical Definition of Baumé scale
: either of two hydrometer scales that indicate specific gravity in arbitrarily defined but constant degrees:
a : one for liquids lighter than water on which specific gravity S at 60°F (15.6°C) is related to the Baumé reading n in degrees by S = 140 ÷ (130 + n)
b : one for liquids heavier than water on which specific gravity S at 60°F (15.6°C) is related to the Baumé reading n in degrees by S = 145 ÷ (145 − n)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game