variants: also B-chromosome
Medical Definition of B chromosome
: a small, usually heterochromatic chromosome present in addition to the normal complement of chromosomes in some members of a species
Note: B chromosomes do not contain any structural genes and have a highly variable pattern of inheritance separate from that of the normal chromosomal complement. They are most often found in plants and invertebrates.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game