Medical Definition of Abegg's rule
: a rule in chemistry: for a given chemical element (as sulfur) the sum of the absolute value of its negative valence of maximum absolute value (as −2 for sulfur in H2S) and its positive valence of maximum value (as +6 for sulfur in H2SO4) is often equal to 8
showing great care, attention, and effort
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game