Medical Definition of AMPA
: a synthetic amino acid C7H10N2O4 that binds selectively to a subset of glutamate receptors on neurons where the binding of glutamate results in an excitatory postsynaptic potential an AMPA antagonist The release of glutamate from sensory terminals evokes fast synaptic potentials in dorsal horn neurons by activating the AMPA-type glutamate receptors. — Allan I. Basbaum and Thomas M. Jessell, in Principles of Neural Science, 4th edition, 2000 also : the subset of receptors to which AMPA binds Glutamate binds to two types of receptor on the postsynaptic neuron, called AMPA and NMDA. — New Scientist, 17 May 2003
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game