word of limitation
Legal Definition of word of limitation
: a word in a deed or will especially following the name of an intended grantee or devisee that serves to describe the nature or extent of the estate granted or devised —usually used in pl. construed “and his heirs” in “to John and his heirs” as words of limitation describing an estate in fee simple rather than as words of purchase giving a future interest in the estate to his heirs — compare word of purchase
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game