Legal Definition of unjust enrichment
1 : the retaining of a benefit (as money) conferred by another when principles of equity and justice call for restitution to the other party also : the retaining of property acquired especially by fraud from another in circumstances that demand the judicial imposition of a constructive trust on behalf of those who in equity ought to receive it — see also quasi contract sense 1 at contract
2 : a doctrine that requires an equitable remedy on behalf of one who has been injured by the unjust enrichment of another
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game