Legal Definition of universal successor
in the civil law of Louisiana : a successor (as an heir, universal legatee, or legatee under universal title) who succeeds to the rights and obligations of the ancestor in title, continues possession by the ancestor's title, and is responsible for the debts of the succession — compare particular successor
Note: Neither a usufructuary under universal title nor a universal usufructuary is a universal successor.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game