Legal Definition of unavoidable casualty
: unavoidable accident also : an unavoidable circumstance that prevents the timely performance of a procedural act (as the filing of an answer) by a party or the party's lawyer — compare excusable neglect
Note: As with excusable neglect, showing evidence of unavoidable casualty will relieve a party from a default judgment or a time limit.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- April 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game