trustee in bankruptcy
Legal Definition of trustee in bankruptcy
: an officer of the court in whom ownership of a debtor's property is vested for the benefit of the creditors and who administers the property for the purpose of making payments to the creditors according to the priority of their claims: as
a : the trustee in a chapter 7 or chapter 11 case who is charged with duties that include collecting the property comprising the bankruptcy estate and reducing it to money for payment of claims
b : the trustee in a chapter 12 or chapter 13 case who is charged with duties that include distributing payments made by the debtor in accordance with a confirmed plan
— called also bankruptcy trustee— see also debtor in possession
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?