trust fund doctrinenoun
Legal Definition of trust fund doctrine
: a doctrine holding that shareholders to whom assets of an insolvent corporation have been transferred are liable to creditors upon dissolution of the corporation broadly : a doctrine holding that corporate assets are held as a trust fund for the benefit of shareholders and creditors and that corporate officers have a fiduciary duty to deal with them properly
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game