Legal Definition of tribal court
Note: Criminal prosecutions of tribal members in tribal courts must respect constitutional rights specifically listed in the Indian Civil Rights Act, which also provides for a federal habeas corpus remedy in lieu of federal appellate review. Parties to a civil action that arguably falls within the jurisdiction of a tribal court must first exhaust remedies there before seeking adjudication in a federal court, whether they are both tribal members or not. A dispute over such jurisdiction is ultimately a federal question.
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- The Exceptions Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game