trial by ordeal
trial by or·deal | \ -ȯr-ˈdēl, -ˈȯr-ˌdēl\
Legal Definition of trial by ordeal
: a formerly used criminal trial in which the guilt or innocence of the accused was determined by subjection to dangerous or painful tests (as submersion in water) believed to be under divine control
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game