tender years exceptionnoun
Legal Definition of tender years exception
: an exception to the hearsay rule in some jurisdictions that allows the use of an out-of-court statement by a young child in an abuse or neglect case if the time, content, and circumstances of the statement provide sufficient indications of reliability and the child will testify or else is unavailable as a witness but there is corroborating evidence of the act in question
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?