tax benefit rulenoun
Legal Definition of tax benefit rule
: a tax rule requiring that if an amount (as of a loss) used as a deduction in a prior taxable year is recovered in a later year it must be included in the gross income for the later year to the extent of the original deduction
Note: If the amount of the loss was not taken as a deduction in the year the loss occurred, the recovered amount is not counted as income.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game