tax benefit rulenoun
Legal Definition of tax benefit rule
: a tax rule requiring that if an amount (as of a loss) used as a deduction in a prior taxable year is recovered in a later year it must be included in the gross income for the later year to the extent of the original deduction
Note: If the amount of the loss was not taken as a deduction in the year the loss occurred, the recovered amount is not counted as income.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game