suspension clausenoun, often capitalized S & C
Legal Definition of suspension clause
: a clause in Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution stating that the privilege of the writ of habeus corpus shall not be suspended unless in cases of rebellion or invasion public safety requires it
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?