Legal Definition of survival action
: an action for the recovery of damages for injury to a fatally injured person that is brought by his or her personal representative — compare wrongful death action
Note: A survival action depends on the existence of a cause of action that the decedent would have had if he or she had survived. A wrongful death suit is concerned with injury to beneficiaries, not the decedent.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game