Legal Definition of steering
: the act of directing another to pursue a course of action: as
a : the practice of pushing or deceiving loan applicants into applying for more costly loans
b : the discriminatory practice of showing a prospective home buyer or renter properties only in certain neighborhoods or areas based on a characteristic of the buyer or renter (as race or national origin) real estate agents found to have engaged in illegal racial steering
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?