squeeze·out | \ ˈskwēz-ˌau̇t\
Legal Definition of squeezeout
: a corporate action or series of actions (as a refusal to declare dividends or the restricting of decision-making power in corporate governance) through which majority shareholders deprive minority shareholders of the benefit of stock ownership usually as part of an attempt to force sale of minority shares — compare freezeout
Note: Freezeout and squeezeout are sometimes used as synonyms.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game