Legal Definition of split-up
: a transfer by a corporation of all its assets in complete liquidation to two or more subsidiaries that involves the surrender of all stock by the shareholders in exchange for new stock in the transferee corporations : a D reorganization involving a distribution of the stock of two or more subsidiaries to the shareholders who in return surrender all their stock in the distributing corporation — compare spin-off, split-off
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game