Legal Definition of sham transaction
: a transaction that is made to mislead or deceive others : a transaction having no economic effect that is made to create tax benefits
Note: The Internal Revenue Service may deny tax benefits for sham transactions.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game