scope of employment
Legal Definition of scope of employment
: the range of conduct and activity within which an employee can reasonably be considered to be carrying out the business of his or her employer workers' compensation for injuries arising out of the course and scope of employment — see also respondeat superior
Note: The liability of an employer for an act committed by an employee depends on whether the act falls within the scope of employment.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?