right of first refusal
right of first re·fus·al | \ -ri-ˈfyü-zəl\
Legal Definition of right of first refusal
: the right to have the first opportunity to purchase property upon the owner's decision to sell at the same terms offered by a third party or at predetermined terms
— called also preemptive right
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?