Legal Definition of retrocession
1 : the return of title to property to its former or true owner specifically, in the civil law of Louisiana : the return to a decedent's heirs of property of the decedent that had been sold or assigned by coheirs
Note: An heir's right to retrocession has been repealed.
2 : the act of ceding back something (as jurisdiction)
3a : the process by which all or part of the risks assumed in an insurance contract are reassigned or ceded by a reinsurer to another insurance company
b : the amount reassigned or ceded
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?