restraint on alienation
Legal Definition of restraint on alienation
: something that serves to prevent a party from alienating property specifically : a provision in an instrument (as a deed or will) that purports to prohibit or penalize the use of the power of alienation
Note: Though not necessarily unlawful, restraints on alienation are disfavored in the law.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?