Legal Definition of relator
: a party other than the plaintiff upon whose information, knowledge, or relation of facts an action is brought when the right to bring the action is vested in another: as
a : the private person who brings a qui tam action
b : a party who has standing and on whose behalf a writ (as of mandamus) is petitioned for by the state as plaintiff relator then filed…a petition in prohibition requesting this court to prohibit respondents from transferring the funds — State ex rel. Tate v. Turner, 789 S.W.2d 240 (1990) — see also ex relatione
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?