Legal Definition of relation back
: the assigning of a prior date (as the date of execution of a document) to an act (as filing of a document and especially a pleading) as the time of its effect especially to avoid a time limit the relation back of amendments to the date of the original pleading also : the legal fiction that an action (as the filing of a document) was taken on a previous date to avoid the expiration of a time limit
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game