Legal Definition of relation back
: the assigning of a prior date (as the date of execution of a document) to an act (as filing of a document and especially a pleading) as the time of its effect especially to avoid a time limit the relation back of amendments to the date of the original pleading also : the legal fiction that an action (as the filing of a document) was taken on a previous date to avoid the expiration of a time limit
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game