puff·ing | \ ˈpə-fiŋ\
Legal Definition of puffing
: the practice of making exaggerated commendations especially for promotional purposes also : the exaggerated commendations made
Note: Generally, a seller cannot be held liable for misrepresentation for statements that amount to mere puffing. Nor can puffing be considered to create an express warranty.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game