Legal Definition of public record
: a record required by law to be made and kept:
a : a record made by a public officer or a government agency in the course of the performance of a duty
b : a record filed in a public office
Note: Public records are subject to inspection, examination, and copying by any member of the public.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game