Legal Definition of public record
: a record required by law to be made and kept:
a : a record made by a public officer or a government agency in the course of the performance of a duty
b : a record filed in a public office
Note: Public records are subject to inspection, examination, and copying by any member of the public.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game