privileges and immunities clausenoun, often capitalized P&I&C
Legal Definition of privileges and immunities clause
1 : a clause in Article IV of the U.S. Constitution stating that the citizens of each state of the U.S. shall be entitled to all the privileges and immunities of citizens of the other states
2 : a clause in Amendment XIV to the U.S. Constitution stating that no state shall make or enforce any law that abridges the privileges or immunities of the citizens of the U.S.
— called also privileges or immunities clause
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game