Legal Definition of major dispute
: a labor dispute that pursuant to the Railway Labor Act concerns the making or modification rather than the interpretation of a collective bargaining agreement
— called also new contract dispute— compare minor dispute
Note: Under the Railway Labor Act, which is also referred to in airline cases, a major dispute must go to mediation or arbitration if necessary.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game