Legal Definition of mailbox rule
: a rule treating the sending of something as constituting a filing or as a basis for assuming receipt specifically : a rule in contract law: a notice of acceptance of an offer sent to the offeror by reasonable means or as agreed by the parties is effective and is not affected by a notice of revocation of the offer received later
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game