lesser included offensenoun
Legal Definition of lesser included offense
: a crime (as unlawful entry) that is by definition included in the commission of another crime (as burglary) which has additional elements and greater criminal liability
— called also included offense
Note: A defendant may be convicted of a lesser included offense even if not charged specifically with that crime.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game