legal certainty testnoun
legal cer·tain·ty test
Legal Definition of legal certainty test
: a rule in federal civil procedure: a defendant's challenge to diversity jurisdiction made on the basis that the amount of money involved in the controversy falls short of the jurisdictional amount will be defeated if the plaintiff provides proof that the amount is certain to be met
— called also legal certainty rule, legal certainty standard
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game