justice of the peace court
Legal Definition of justice of the peace court
: a local court of limited jurisdiction usually over minor civil and criminal actions, small claims, and some felony preliminaries which is presided over by a justice of the peace and which usually follows summary procedure
Note: Justice of the peace courts were formerly common but now are used or remain active to some extent in only a few states.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game