horizontal gaze nystagmus testnoun
horizontal gaze ny·stag·mus test | \ -ni-ˈstag-məs-\
Legal Definition of horizontal gaze nystagmus test
: a test for intoxication (as of a driver) based on observation of involuntary jerking movements of the eyes as they follow horizontal motion
Note: This test is one of several usually administered by police officers to determine the sobriety of a suspected drunk driver.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game