holder for value
Legal Definition of holder for value
: a holder to whom an instrument is issued or transferred in exchange for something of value (as a promise of performance, a security interest or lien in the instrument not obtained by judicial process, payment of or use of the instrument as security for a claim against another person, a negotiable instrument, or the incurring of an irrevocable obligation to a third party)
to mark by some ceremony or observation
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/24/19
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game