fresh complaint rulenoun
Legal Definition of fresh complaint rule
: a rule of evidence: the testimony of a witness to whom a victim of a sexual offense made a fresh complaint is admissible to corroborate the victim's testimony
— called also fresh complaint doctrine
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game