freedom of contract
Legal Definition of freedom of contract
: a power or right to contract and freely determine the provisions of contracts without arbitrary or unreasonable legal restrictions especially as guaranteed under the contract clause of Article I, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution
— called also freedom to contract, liberty of contract
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game