Legal Definition of fellow-servant rule
: a common-law rule or doctrine in tort law: an employer is not liable for injuries inflicted on one employee by the fault of another employee during the course of his or her employment
Note: This rule is no longer used in most jurisdictions as a result of federal and state workers' compensation statutes.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game