Legal Definition of false statement
: a statement that is known or believed by its maker to be incorrect or untrue and is made especially with intent to deceive or mislead submitted a false statement to obtain the loan also : the federal crime of concealing a material fact, making a false statement, or using documents known to be falsified — see also exculpatory no doctrine — compare perjury
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game