Legal Definition of equitable adoption
: an adoption recognized by the law in order to allow claims (as to assets in an estate or to insurance or government benefits) in cases in which there is an express or implied contract to adopt and clear evidence of an intention to adopt but no performance of the procedures required by statute for an adoption
— called also adoption by estoppel
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game