due process clausenoun
Legal Definition of due process clause
: a clause in a constitution prohibiting the government from depriving a person of life, liberty, or property without due process of law specifically, often capitalized D&P&C : such a clause found in the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?