driving under the influence
Legal Definition of driving under the influence
— called also driving while intoxicated, drunk driving, drunken driving
Note: Most states specify by statute a level of alcohol in the blood that creates a presumption that the person is under the influence of alcohol. The blood alcohol content is required to be .08 percent in most states.
- Summer Reading Picks from Merriam-Webster Staffers
- The Wayward Cousins of 'Irregardless'
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Challenging Vocabulary Quiz Returns! Take the quiz
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game