Legal Definition of diminished capacity
— called also diminished responsibility, partial insanity— compare insanity, irresistible impulse test, m'naghten test, substantial capacity test
Note: If diminished capacity is shown, negating an element of the crime with which a defendant is charged, the defendant can only be convicted of a lesser offense that does not include the element.
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?