Legal Definition of deadly weapon
: an object whose purpose is to cause death or that when used as an instrument of offense is capable of causing death or sometimes serious bodily harm — compare dangerous weapon
Note: An unloaded firearm has been generally held to be a deadly weapon. Although usually distinct, the terms deadly weapon and dangerous weapon are sometimes used interchangeably.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game