dation en paiement
da·tion en paie·ment | \ ˈdā-shən-en-ˈpā-mənt, dȧ-ˈsyȯⁿ-äⁿ-pā-ˈmäⁿ\
Legal Definition of dation en paiement
in the civil law of Louisiana : a mode of discharging a debt by the debtor's giving to the creditor with the creditor's consent something that satisfies the debt but differs from the form of payment originally called for by the debt
— called also giving in payment
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game