crime of violence
Legal Definition of crime of violence
: a crime that by its nature poses a substantial risk that force will be used against a person or property
Note: A record of crimes of violence is used especially to determine career offender status under federal sentencing guidelines.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?