court of equity
Legal Definition of court of equity
: a court having jurisdiction over suits in equity and administering justice and providing remedies according to the rules and principles of equity — compare court of law
Note: Rule 2 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure abolishes the distinction between law and equity, and therefore there are no longer courts of equity in the federal system.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game