Legal Definition of contributory fault
: responsibility for aiding in the accomplishment of a bad result (as an injury) specifically : responsibility of a promisor for causing his or her promise to be impossible to perform
Note: A promisor who is guilty of contributory fault cannot invoke the defense of impossibility.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game